Parts Join/Renew Mail Us Home Officials Events Gallery Magazine Links Regalia

A Sample Article from the July - August 2013 MASCOT

 Singers Join BSA on their 2013 Cheddar Run -  from Ian and Jo Rees,

              with a little help from Nick Stone and Graham Skillen, of the BSA Club

James Hickman’s LM battery was low and he gets a helping hand.

We thought you might like to hear about a lovely day out we had which was organised by Nick Stone (Many thanks again to him for inviting us along).  

We left home on Saturday 25th May in Ella, our Singer 9 Roadster, and headed for the village of Long Sutton in Somerset, where we met outside the Devonshire Arms and parked up on the village green.


The collection of cars (25 in all) comprised ten BSAs, mostly trikes, but including a Scout and another four-wheeler, four Singers - Nick’s 1928  Junior, Robert Lovegrove’s 1934 Nine Sports, James Hickman’s 1935 Le Mans and our 1951 4AB Roadster, plus a mixture of others, including a Triumph Roadster, a couple of Morgans, an MG, a Caterham 7 and a very old GWK (?)



After lunch we set off in glorious sunshine to Burrow Hill cider farm, where we were given a short but interesting talk and shown the beautiful orchards where, that morning, filming of a love scene had been taking place for a German film!  We were given a sample to try of an apple aperitif and then let loose in the shop! As well as the usual selection of ciders they also produce apple brandy, the aperitif and a cherry liqueur! Very nice!!   


We continued to Barrington Court, where we parked the cars in the courtyard outside the house in a glorious display which made a great photo shoot.  We then partook of a cream tea on the terrace!  Unfortunately time ran out of so we didn't manage a wander around the wonderful walled gardens.  

Altogether a very enjoyable day - hopefully to be repeated.

To Go to Another Sample Article,  CLICK HERE

Aunty Says: Re GWK, this is short for Grice, Wood & Keiller, who made their prototype car in a stable in Beckenham, Kent, in 1911, before moving to Datchet in 1912, then Maidenhead in 1914, where production of GWK cars continued until 1931.  The cars had a friction drive via a wheel running perpendicular to the flywheel face. This was moved towards the outer rim for high speed ‘gears’, towards the centre for low ‘gears’, and beyond centre for reverse.  I am told Keiller was a member of the marmalade family famous for the ‘Golliwog’ label.
                                                                                                                                                      
 Aunty.