Parts Join/Renew Mail Us Home Officials Events Gallery Magazine Links Regalia

Sample Article No 3 from the March - April 2011 MASCOT

 Basket Case to Show Winner in Sixteen Weeks - from Dave Punnett.

GO BACK To Article No 2

Three days before the show, the car was completed, except for the new hood and side curtains, and a small problem with the SU carb. It had no tax or MOT so I hired a trailer to take it to the show.  Myself, my wife Sue, my brother Ray and his wife Margaret, arrived at Ripon on a lovely sunny day. We had a great time and came home with the cup for the Best Roadster in the show.

In 1989 complete with hood and side panels all fitted the car won the Le Mans Trophy for the best Singer at the show.

                  

To Go Back to Magazine Page CLICK HERE

I have been meaning to write to the Mascot since the day of the hurricane in 1987, when I bought my basket case 4A Roadster, MJO 798, for £1500.  Next job was to get it home and try to sort out all the bits and pieces.  The body was off, and the words of an old song -

“Where do I begin?” came to mind.

Some work had been done on the engine about 10 years previously, so I more or less had a rolling chassis.  Most of the ash frame was rotted or missing, and the plywood wheel arches had half rotted away. The rear aluminium skin had some corrosion and cracks, which needed welding, and the inner metal panels had rusted and needed replacing.  The running boards were missing altogether.


At this point I needed some help.  My brother, Ray, has a way with wood, so we set about getting ash from our local wood merchant.  Using marks on the body left by the old frame, we made a jig for the rear wheel arches.  By using 3-ply marine strips, bending them over the jig one at a time and glueing them together, we made a 9-ply arch, which we cut to fit.

Next came the need for expert advice, and who better to turn to than Bill Haverly?  And what a gem he was! He put me in touch with two Roadster owners, and I was able to view their cars, which helped considerably.  Bill also helped with technical advice, provision of new/missing parts, and encouragement.  

First job was to free the distributor, which was seized in the block - that took care of day one! The engine had been rebuilt, so I kept my fingers crossed and carried on with the bodywork.  Bill had told me about the SNCR at Ripon in July, so I was going to try and get it to the show -

I had just 16 weeks to complete the job and I didn’t think I had a hope in a hot place!  We had the ash frame more or less complete and ready to assemble, and a mate who worked at Jaguar doing interior trim sorted out the leatherwork, carpet and trim.  My brother Ray sorted the ash frame and I did the mechanical and body work, painting and building up.

In 1990 my friend Mike and I went to Amersfoort in Holland with ASCO to the Dutch Singer Owners Club Lustrum Rally.  We had a great weekend with them, but as we were on our way back to the hotel before setting off for the ferry home, I had engine problems (head gasket).

Once again Bill Haverly came to my rescue, and after a simple quick tightening down of the head bolts we made a dash for the ferry and home.

I have been out of action due to illness the last few years, but will try and bring you up to date soon.

       All the best for now. Dave.

My cunning plan was to get all the parts I needed before getting down to the hard labour.  I made a start the first week in March 1988.